- I’ve moved around more times than I can keep track of
- yet my deepest longing is to feel rooted and at home.
- I love the idea of traveling
- but doing it is exhausting for me;
- I’m highly introverted and rather private
- but if I were more adventurous, I’d backpack around Europe
- or see more of Africa.
- I don’t really enjoy cooking
- but love to bake
- especially gingerbread or pumpkin anything. (#omnomnom)
- I love, love, LOVE hashtags–
- in an ironic, hipster kind of way.
- And I think that Fallon/Timberlake hashtag video is hilarious,
- especially because I’m not afraid to poke fun at myself.
- Food is my love language–
- possibly because I’m half-Italian
- but most likely because I’m deeply relational and thrive off connections made around the table.
- I used to loathe the taste of alcohol
- but have grown to appreciate a good glass of red wine.
- I try to carefully choose the words with which I speak
- yet I can’t ever stop myself from talking with my hands.
- (Did I mention I’m half-Italian?)
- If I were a boy, I would have been named Delfino.
- Oh, and my dad’s name was Luigi.
- My grandfather was the single most important person in my life
- and I still haven’t accepted the fact that he’s gone.
- I have a strong fear of knives/being stabbed
- and an equally strong dislike of black ink.
- I don’t really like cheese unless it’s melted
- or bread unless it’s toasted/crunchy
- or apples unless they’re Granny Smith.
- I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
- I have mini-panic attacks about turning 30 this year,
- mostly because I’m nowhere close to the place in life I thought I’d be at this age.
- I want to remarry
- and have children (2 or 3),
- but sometimes I second-guess that because I really love my sleep.
- Like, a lot.
- And my personal space.
- I’ve always wanted to play guitar
- and imagine what it would be like to lead worship.
- I love music,
- but especially lyrics,
- and most especially when I connect with their meaning.
- Which is often, because I’m one of those people who seeks meaning in ev. ery. thing.
- Seriously. I can’t accept things like coincidence or answers like, “That’s just the way life goes.”
- I’m highly organized
- and have a mild case of self-diagnosed OCD.
- I don’t like even numbers
- and I count stairs when I’m climbing them.
- I used to wish I had green eyes
- and straight hair.
- …Okay. I still wish that.
- I like the idea of the outdoors much more than I enjoy the outdoors itself.
- I do, however, love the mountains–
- looking at them, that is.
- And I can’t stand camping
- even though I basically camped every day for my four years in Africa.
- I can be kind of brooding
- and I tend to live in the past or the future instead of the present.
- But I’m working on that.
- I love to shop,
- especially for clothes and purses.
- About 85% of my wardrobe is neutrals (think grey or navy),
- and I will wear black until they invent something darker.
- I journal daily
- and will often re-read old entries to remember how far I’ve come.
- I’m an idealist
- and a hopeless romantic,
- and I waver between conservatism and liberalism, depending on the issue.
- I’m extremely independent,
- and I’ve been told I’m strong all my life.
- Yet some days, I just want to be able to fall apart in someone’s arms,
- and there are moments I’m afraid I’ll never have that again.
- I don’t like to be cold,
- yet I love dressing for cold weather.
- I like to be warm,
- but I hate to sweat.
- I’ve lived in both types of climates (harsh Canadian winters versus humid African tropics), but still don’t know which I’m more suited for.
- I wish it were fall all year ‘round.
- There are a few moments in my lifetime in which I’ve experienced joy so full it felt like my heart would burst.
- Most of those moments were when I was in Liberia.
- I contemplate going back every single day. And perhaps I will, at some point. But for now,
- I don’t feel ready.
- And I’m afraid of being emptied again.
- I could eat cereal for every single meal–
- except for Cookie Crisp. That stuff is vile.
- I’ve never seen Star Wars,
- which most people think is an abomination.
- Now I just refuse to watch it on principle alone.
- I didn’t get my license until I was 20 years old
- because the idea of getting behind the wheel used to freak me out, y’all.
- Now that I do drive, I’d never give up the freedom that comes with it.
- I’ve always been one who loves to learn,
- and there are times when I consider going back to school for a Ph.D.
- …But I don’t have the time (or finances) to devote to it.
- I think my godson is one of the coolest kids in the world,
- and I brag about him any chance I get.
- I legitimately love my own company,
- and I think I’m one of the funniest people I know.
- I cry at the drop of a hat
- and absolutely wear my heart on my sleeve,
- but cannot stand it when people mistake my kindness for weakness.
- I hate that I’m ending this list on an even number (see #49)
- …That’s better.
sorry i haven’t posted any friday faves for the last few weeks, but things have been kind of busy, what with me traveling halfway across the world and all. (smiley-face emoticon goes here.) but i’m back + better than ever, so let’s get this party started!
favorite blog post: this letter from kristen at rage against the minivan to controversial mars hill pastor mark driscoll. it’s smart, to the point, and FIERCE, y’all.
Some of us don’t find shame to be a spiritual motivator. A whole bunch of us think that you are misrepresenting Christ. And we’re talking about it, because we think it’s damaging.
favorite tweet: this one by @Jenna_Marbles made me literally LOL.
Every time I see a hot guy I think about how awesome it would be to make his sandwiches.
favorite song: i’ve been listening to will reagan’s newest album on repeat + have fallen in love with track 2, Give Me a Song. check it out–pretty sure you’ll love it as much as i do!
I will lift my hands if my hands fail me; I will bend my knees if my knees grow weak. I’ll raise my voice and I will sing: I know that you love me.
favorite photo: this shot of me + my sweet little Jumah-girl outside of her orphanage. she spent nearly an hour braiding and unbraiding my hair, running her fingers through it and kissing me on top of my head. i’m pretty sure my heart turned to absolute mush; i LOVE this sweet little one!
favorite food: since i’m back in Liberia, my diet consists mainly of rice and soups, the staple food here. i have been OBSESSED with collard greens over rice, cooked with Liberian pepper, and topped with fried plantains. i’ve also been eating a lot of fresh pineapple as well, and even enjoyed some tasty passion-fruit from the vine growing right outside my house.
favorite scripture: 2 corinthians 1.nine. lately, i’ve been praying for God to show Himself strong on my behalf, and this verse is so encouraging to me. it reminds me that nothing is impossible for Him, and where human ability fails, there is space for Him to step in and do miracles!
how about you guys? what were some of your favorite things from this week? i’d love to hear from you! xo
i am so excited about this week’s faves! lots of awesome things that i can’t wait to share with you. so let’s just get right to it, shall we?
favorite blog post: this week, i discovered one of my new favorite bloggers, Cassi Clerget. seriously:: this girl is the real deal. check out one of her newer posts, Scars are sexy. it made me laugh and cry–and then share it with pretty much everyone i know.
Scars mean we have endured. They set us apart. They are our stories, written on us to be read by those who are a bit broken themselves.
favorite tweet: i love Twitter. i follow some pretty hilarious folks, and i am constantly giggling at the things they post. this week’s favorite is from @hipstermermaid:
My main hobbies include carbs and avoiding eye contact. (me too. meeee toooo.)
ps: want more Twitter awesomeness in your life? you should probably follow me then. i spend most of time retweeting people who are both wittier and wiser than me. it’s fantastic.
favorite song: Sweet Nothing by Calvin Harris + Florence Welch. this is my JAM, y’all.
so i put my faith in something unknown; i’m living on such sweet nothing. but i’m trying to hope with nothing to hold; i’m living on such sweet nothing.
favorite photo: lately, i’ve been struggling with doubt. so i was thrilled to find this great pic on Love is Louder‘s Facebook page. i even printed it out and pasted in my journal as a reminder that i walk by faith and not by sight.
favorite food: it was my birthday on Monday–which means that i totally started celebrating a few days earlier. and to celebrate, i ate cupcakes. a lot of them, actually. i discovered Ady Cakes in West Reading, the cutest little shoppe that actually won Food Network’s Cupcake Wars! they make an incredible evil cherry cupcake–with red wine & cherry cake and icing. wine + cupcake = straight-up winning.
favorite scripture: psalm 27:14. life these days seems like one big waiting room, and lately, i’ve been so tired. God gave me this verse in church on Sunday; i think it’s His way of reminding me that my hope is in Him–not a person or circumstance.
here’s hoping your Friday is just as fabulous as you are. as always, thanks for reading. xo
want to hear some fantastic news that made my stomach do somersaults?! this little ol’ blog of mine is featured on The Bonfire’s 1,001 Christian women bloggers you should know! it’s am incredible honor to be on the list, among some of the most beautiful, talented and inspirational women out there. i’m #237 (it goes in alphabetical order, guys), which means there are ONE THOUSAND other phenomenal blogs listed for your reading pleasure. check it out!
as always, thanks for reading these feeble words. i’m wholeheartedly grateful for you. xo
happy Friday, friends! i haven’t been this excited about Friday since…well, last Friday! here’s the list of my favoritest things from the week::
favorite blog post: In which we get this part of the Incarnation by the superbly talented Sarah Bessey.
May we recognise the miracle of the Incarnation, not in spite of the mess, but because of the very humanness of it.
favorite tweet: by @donaldmiller
Only speak that which makes the world a better place.
favorite photo: pretty much anything from Buzzfeed’s 21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity. (so. much. awesomeness.)
favorite song: okay, so i really tried to not like Taylor Swift’s new song, but it’s just so darn catchy! (how does she do it?!) give “I Knew You Were Trouble” a listen; it’s impossible to not start singing along!
favorite scripture: Isaiah 49: 14 – 16. sometimes, in the midst of our humanity, our problems, our mess, it’s easy to feel like God is absent. like He somehow has forgotten us. this passage is my reminder that i am always, always on His mind.
favorite purchase: a Glade Nutcracker Crunch jar candle i picked up at Target. it smells like Christmas and happiness and everything that is good in the world!
that’s it from me this Friday! and bring your lovely self back here on Monday to check out a fun, happy-birthday-to-me blog post that i’ve been working on! xo
on a scale of 1 to rebecca black, how much do you just love Fridays?! they’re instant mood-boosters, for one. (seriously. if you are not happy on Friday, then you just have no soul.)
all kidding aside, Fridays are fun. which is exactly why i chose them to host my just-for-fun, lighthearted ongoing series: Friday Favorites! so let’s get started, shall we?
favorite blog post: Content by my fiercely fabulous Twitter friend @samanthamazing. FOR REAL. it’s like she lives inside my brain or something. as someone who’s been known to have “i’m forever alone!” pity parties with carbs and/or ice cream (usually both; let’s be honest), her words were like water for this thirsty heart.
“But in this waiting period, I’ve learned to love myself, love others, and how to be a bit of a badass. So, yeah, I’m pretty content with being single.”
favorite tweet: by @shkeeber
“I’m 98% sure that I’ve been dating my laptop.” (annnnnd cue the carbs. JUST KIDDING!)
favorite song: now that it’s almost December, i’ve made the leap into the Christmas music swimming pool. i am currently in love with Hillsong’s We Have a Savior album (it’s got the most delicious folk sound. mmm…) check out the title track here.
favorite food: lately, i’ve been on this greek yogurt kick (because let’s face it: it’s delish and a great source of protein!) the other day, i had the bright idea to add some peanut butter to some plain yogurt and then add a bit of honey. OH. MY. GOSH. i have no idea why it’s taken me so long to think of doing that; it was SUPER yummy! (you can also crush up graham crackers and throw ’em in there, too!)
favorite scripture: Amos 5:24. there are few things in life that make my heart skip a beat as much as a fiery passion for justice and righteousness!
favorite gift: these adorable bangles i got from a friend for a b-day/Christmas gift. i love all the colors; there’s one to be worn with every outfit!
hello, all! i hope you guys had a fantabulous Thanksgiving; i know i did! thanks for bearing with me when i cancelled last week’s Friday favorites. here’s the list of all the things that made my heart smile this week.
favorite blog post: Sisters, Speak, the incredible Rachel Held Evans’ reply when asked by a reporter what one thing she would say to the women of the Church.
“Sisters, speak. Speak with valor. Speak with love. Speak with gentleness. Speak with wisdom. Speak the Gospel. Speak grace.”
favorite tweet: by @lovedoes
“We fix people because it helps; Jesus loved people because it works.”
favorite photo: my beautiful Mercy, who wanted to show me the craft that she made! (can’t wait to give that girl the biggest hug ever once i get back to Liberia!)
favorite song: i’ve discovered that my life is pretty much a soundtrack to every song by The Lumineers. this week, i’ve adored listening to Stubborn Love.
“It’s better to feel pain than nothing at all; the opposite of love’s indifference.”
favorite food: Thanksgiving = pecan pie. i ate more than my fair share of it this week. AND i even found this awesome recipe for no-bake, chocolate-covered pecan pie balls! this could be dangerous–dangerously delicious!
favorite scripture: Zechariah 9:9. i love the contrast in the imagery: mighty King Jesus, humbly riding in on a lowly donkey. He is both awesome and tender. love, love, love.
favorite gift: this girl’s got a birthday coming up (eek!), and i received two early presents from a dear friend! i’ve been *dying* to get my hands on these books; can’t wait to dig in!
favorite purchase: this is pretty much my favoritest thing ever. it’s a BREAD STAMPER, you guys. that makes FRENCH TOAST (get it?!) i bought it on clearance for $1.50 at TJ Maxx, and it just makes me so happy!
now it’s your turn! tell me about your favorite things from this week, why don’t you? xo
hello, my lovelies! welcome back to another edition of friday favorites! here are some things that made me happy this week.
favorite blog post: “Thank you, India. Thank you, Ammachi. Thank you, Ann Voskamp” on SheLoves
“Who knew that my thin place could be a portal between two worlds: the holy and the mundane! To think that I’ve just been too fatigued and numb to recognize the “serendipitous territories” laying lusciously before me. I’d kill for a chance to get a glimpse into eternity.”
favorite tweet: by @TheDairylandDon
“BRB. Picking out the right sweatpants to wear on Thanksgiving.”
favorite photo: this. found it on Pinterest. i feel like everyone needs to see it.
favorite song: i’ve been falling back in love with John Mark McMillan this week, and Seen a Darkness has been on repeat.
“You have called us loved, and You have called us wanted; at one time we were bruised, we were bankrupt and haunted.”
favorite food: pumpkin frozen yogurt. #omnomnom you can even make your own: 1 cup greek yogurt | 1 cup pumpkin puree | 1 tablespoon sugar (can substitute pure maple syrup for sugar) | 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (recipe can be found on babble)
favorite scripture: Isaiah 55: 7. He is the God who freely pardons!
favorite purchase: this adorable mug from Target, on clearance for $2! i’ve been waiting weeks for this one to get marked down. me loves it–because let’s be honest; you can never have too many coffee mugs!
that’s it from me–but i want to hear from you! what were some of your favorite things this week?
i think the title is pretty self-explanatory for this one. here are some of my very favoritest things from this past week. enjoy, and don’t forget to check back next Friday!
favorite blog post: “then i like being naive” by SeePrestonBlog
“Perhaps if it is naive to believe that the way forward in these conversations is around a table where we respect one another and then share in the communion of Christ, then I like being naive.”
favorite tweet: by @__rachchristine
“I still can’t believe I haven’t seen a single #bindersofwomen Halloween costume. Such a waste.”
favorite photo: this fake Sandy pic that showed up on twitter, courtesty of @_shamani
favorite song: Lovers’ Eyes by Mumford and Sons
“I’ll walk slow; I’ll walk slow; take my hand; help me on my way.”
favorite food: surprisingly, the award goes to Trader Joe’s Wild Mushroom and Black Truffle flatbread pizza. i wasn’t sure about this one, since i’m not particularly a fan of mushrooms, but my tastebuds were pleasantly surprised!
favorite scripture: Habakkuk 2:4. it even inspired me to write a blog post, which you can read here.
favorite gift: a beautiful box of Raymond Waites’ honeysuckle magnolia scented votive candles. they smell sweet yet light, and the packaging is simply lovely. i’d take a photo, but it wouldn’t do it justice. sorry, y’all.
favorite purchase: i bought the cutest eight-pack of hair barrettes at a Walmart in Virginia for $3. muted metals with etched flowers that also do a great job of holding my hair back? yes, please!
that’s it from me! hopefully you guys enjoyed this week’s Friday Favorites. see you next week! xo